Vanilla List Maling List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2319] LTD stats

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 01:04:35PM -0400, Dave Ahn wrote:

> It's not easy to change this behavior.  One way I could do this is to
> have the player DB duplicated in the shared memory segment by team instead
> of in the .players file.  Then ltd_dump would have the option to dump
> the player stats from the memory segment instead of the file.  Getting
> the .players file to support this sort of thing is much harder.
>
> I've added some options to the ltd_dump program including an SB stats dump
> and the ability to filter out observers or players with < XX play time.
> I have also fixed the maxkills bug.  I'm on vacation now, but I'll check
> in these changes sometime this week.

Well, obviously for INL stats we need to have separate team stats.
Parsing logs and relating them to LTD stats, which don't have any
temporal locality, would be a bitch.

When in INL mode, the player database will be wiped after the game.
So, a hack which could work is to define the player name, for the
purposes of the stat database, as [K8]Mojo Riser or something like
that--I'm assuming the player name is the unique database key.  You
could do a separate player database entry this way for each slot a
player when in INL mode, and I could combine them in perl.  This
would probably take changes to any code which prints the player
name (the player list, shift-I, etc).

A more general idea would be to have a different unique key in the
player database, and another player database field for "slot".  slot
gets set to whatever slot the player last played in.  In normal
mode, when a player enters the game, if a player with his name already
exists in the database, the server behaves the same way as it does now.
But in INL mode, when a player enters the game, he always gets a new
player database entry (maybe copy over the password field from
the identically-named character if one exists).
 -Tom