[VANILLA-L:1260] Re: [VANILLA-L:1252] [derek.baum@ssmb.com: CVSROOT/val-tags not updated]

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 05:15:10PM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:
> This is the exact problem that Dave has seen in the server.

Not quite...but similar.  I thought I had made the solution clear in my
email...

$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/val-tags needs to be read/writable to everyone.  That is,
chmod 666 or 660 it (touch it if it doesn't exist).  Same deal with the
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/history file.

You do not need to compromise security to keep $CVSROOT/CVSROOT at 770.

As for Derek's problem, it may be fixed in 1.10.  I do recall a situation
where val-tags would not be updated unless either the local copy was already
in sync with the repository or an explicit 'commit' or 'rtag' is used.  I
ran across this problem while creating dead-end branches in 1.9.

> I do not even know what val-tags does. Anyone want to enlighten me?

Tags have dual meaning in the CVS repository.  It is used to mark specific
names you assign to a source tree state using 'cvs tag' or 'cvs rtag'.
Tags also serve to name branches such as one created by 'cvs tag -b' or
'cvs import ... vendor_branch ...'.  Tags in the source tree can be
added, deleted, moved and overwritten.  So, for checkout/update -r, there
are only a limited number of "valid" tags.  These "valid" tags are stored
in val-tags.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2
+