[VANILLA-L:1192] Re: [VANILLA-L:1189] Re: [VANILLA-L:1186] Re: [VANILLA-L:1185] Re: [VANILLA-L:1184] Re:

Darryl wrote:
> P.S. This does bring up some slight problems.  Under the license agreement
> for non-server MS operating system, you are limited to 10 simultaneous
> inbound connections.  As of now the code doesn't check if you are running
> NT server or not and I think the OS socket routines might allow the user to
> surpass the limit.

>From the EULA:

"However, you may permit a maximum of ten (10)
computers to connect to the Workstation
Computer to access and use services of the
SOFTWARE PRODUCT, such as file and print services
and peer web services."

Ok, here's my explanation:

The Netrek server is not a "service" of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT since it did not come with NT Workstation.

The Netrek server does utilize the TCP/IP networking stack of NT Workstation and some other components in order to run.

 However, the TCP/IP networking stack does not run under NT as a "service".

A "service" as defined by Microsoft and applied to NT are things like the Printing service(SPOOLER), File sharing service(SERVER), Web server(W3SVC), Ftp Server(MSFTPSVC), etc.

 Therefore running a Netrek server on an NT Workstation is not a violation of the EULA because the 16-20 connections or so to the machine are to access and use an application which is not part of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, which doesn't even run as a "service" or use other "services".

 Besides, I think the intent of the EULA was essentially to get people to buy the server product where it would best make sense, and the workstation product where that made sense.

 I don't know how commercial Unix is currently licensed.  But it used to be you could buy a workstation version and a server version.  They were identical, except the workstation version would only allow two login connections.(one console, one telnet)  Digital used to sell hardware like that, one was called a DECStation, the other a DECServer, they were identical except for the license agreement and the price tag.  We used to buy DECstations and use them as servers all the time.

 Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I don't think it violates the intent in any way.

Steve

+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++