Vanilla List Maling List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2237] xsg stuff

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 12:00:39AM +0200, Kurt Siegl wrote:

> >HANDLE_SIG and SIGNAL are redundant definitions.
>
> Not really. There are three types of signals.

Goes to show how much I've forgotten over the years.  I stand corrected,
BSD signal() installed handlers are persistant.  Even so, reinstalling
the same handler is not erroneous behavior.

> >> Does the signal handler need to be re-specified after each interrupt,
> >
> >The handler needs to be reinstalled after the signal is caught and handled.
>
> Only in case of pure POSIX signals. That's what the HANDLE_SIG
> define is good for. Linux and Solaris have pure POSIX signals.

Even with SysV, signal() has POSIX behavior.  Only sigset() is persistent.

Anyway, almost all modern unices are POSIX compliant or support POSIX in
many ways.  Almost all of them are also SVR4 derived.  AFAIK, Free/NetBSD is
the only remaining major OS that is BSD derived, and it also supports POSIX.
Anyone know of any other BSD derived commecial OS that is current?

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2