Vanilla List Maling List Archive

[VANILLA-L:923] Re: [VANILLA-L:922] metaserver.eu.netrek.org access?

> Is there a way in cow and/or BRMH to look at a different metaserver
> via the command line?

Well, see there's this totally configurable cool little TK/TCL script out
there that I used to sort-of maintain called tkms.  Frankly, it's bitchin'.

It can be configured to look at any particular metaserver OR a customizable
list of known netrek servers that you prefer.  It uses the output of one
of the telnet ports on the metaserver, parses it into lines, and if you
click on a server, it starts the client of your choice automatically, with
all the command-line options you want.

At least, that's how it works on Unix machines.  I've never bothered
overhauling it for use on a Wintel box.  However, I do know that TCL/TK
is available on just about every platform netrek is available for.

I'm not fantastic with TCL/TK, but if there's interest, I'll fart around with
it.  If someone out there has more skill in TCL/TK, then have at it.  The
catch of course is that anyone who wants to use it on their 95/NT box has
to install the TCL/TK package from Sun.

I sort of like the idea of not having the metaserver stuff built into the
client code, but that's just me...*

---
Bob Campbell			Unix System Administrator
Scientific Computing Division	National Center for Atmospheric Research
rsc@ucar.edu			(303) 497-1815

* note that if the metaserver stuff isn't in the client code, we can change
the metaserver behavior all we want without having to coordinate things with
the development groups of the various clients out there.
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++