[VANILLA-L:911] Re: [VANILLA-L:909] Netrek over HTTP

> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:50:40 +0000
> From: James Cameron <james.cameron@digital.com>
> Subject: [VANILLA-L:909] Netrek over HTTP
>
> Serious!
>
> Problem: lots of corporations and even ISP's are protecting their
> networks by isolating users behind a firewall, but yet permitting full
> HTTP traffic through a proxy server on the firewall.
>
> The potential growth of Netrek players is thus hindered.
>
> Proposal: adjust code in client and server to allow running the Netrek
> protocol via a HTTP proxy.
>
> Discussion?
>
> 1) how to achieve client authentication securely?
> 2) lack of UDP ... use the RealAudio ports?
> 3) perpetual connections; do these work?
> 4) are there any other popular protocol ports we can nick?
> 5) update rates of one per second?  ;-)

Here at sun we use the telnet proxy server to get out. This of
course means that we're TCP only but, then the incomming pipe
isn't all that great anyway.

I've thought about leaching off of the http proxy server but, I
haven't goten around to actually doing it. I'd be interested in
hearing what others have done.

Cheers!

Keir
--