[VANILLA-L:1035] Re: Server resources

Bob Tanner writes:
> Anyone have any "hard" numbers on what a netrek server consumes for
> computer and network resources?

CPU: it's so low that it's hard to measure.
Memory: add up the results of a "ps" on your server.  Again, lost in the
noise on todays machines.  Lost in the noise on yesterday's machines too
(judging from my bigbang experience).
Network resources: on average. 0.5k/s per player.  It can of course peak
higher.

> Also advise on what is most important computer resource? CPU, Memory,
> NIC card?

Anything you care throw at it these days will work fine.  Enough memory
so that other things happening on the machine don't swap it out is
probobly all you need to worry about.  10baseT to your upstream
connection is plenty of network.

> I ask because I have the opportunity to purchase a 300MHz 21164 Alpha
> machine for $1000 US. Running Alpha linux I think this would be a
> great netrek server. :-)
>
> Right now continuum is a dual 75Mhz Sparc20. So... any advise?

Either one will work.  The Alpha will be a cool toy at a good price, so
this might be a good excuse :) The Sparc's dual CPUs have to help in the
context-switching area though, if Slowaris actually is Doing the Right
Thing.

--
       Alec Habig, Boston University Particle Astrophysics Group
			   habig@budoe.bu.edu

+