[VANILLA-L:681] Re: [VANILLA-L:679] Server code in CVS?

On Oct 28,  0:37, Bob Tanner wrote:

>I see some CVS directories floating around in the source tree. Is the
>server under CVS control?
>
>I would like to use CVS to make a continuum branch off the main source
>tree, but I am having a hell of a time getting cvs not to mungle the
>symlinks. If I do a cvs update it checks out the file (defs.h) for
>example as a real file not a symlink. Any way to fix this?

As far as I know CVS does not handle symbolic links -- at all. I think
it is supposed to be a future enhancement to CVS but I don't know when or
if it is going to be implemented. My best guess would be to change the code
so that it does not need symbolic links...

When I tried to put the Vanilla tree under CVS I got the opposite problem:
the symlinks did not get checked in, and thus not checked out either.

BTW: I think it would be a very good idea to put the code under some form
of version control, preferably CVS (one of the most widespread version
control systems I think and better than RCS).

Cheers, Frank
(Maintainer Eurometaserver)