TCLUG Archive

Odd ICMP errors and spontaneous reboots

Hey all,

I've been having some trouble with my RedHat 5.1 system. I recently moved from slackware to redhat and now I the following ICMP error.

Jan 26 16:55:46 x136-150 kernel: 192.168.30.254 sent an invalid ICMP error to a
broadcast.

In addition my system seems to reboot itself spontaneously. Apparantly it's been rebooting once between 4:30 and 5:00 am and once again between 3:30 and 4:00 pm, however this afternoon it rebooted twice. I've checked the logs and there doesn't seem to be anything odd around the time of the reboots. Just the above error message repeated several times and then the standard boot up messages.

Any ideas? The error itself isn't too annoying but the reboots have got me worried.

Thanks,

Hans
--
Hans D Umhoefer (spudling@acm.cs.umn.edu)