TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3246] Demoing, plus The Good and The Bad

(This message also bounced tclug-list... user unknown)..

You had a lot of great ideas on your list...  I will try playing around
with some GUI filemanagers.  (I rarely use GUIs for filemangement or
much besides end user applications.. netscape, Gimp).

It reminds me I should setup everything (get organized), for a few demos.

Does anyone have multi-tracking and/or midi setup? (I keep getting
side tracked, and hope to do that this weekend.. I have a Korg M1
MIDI keyboard old but trustworthy).

1. Yes, RedHat 6.0 is planning to use Gnome.
2. The inittabe for XDM can also be setup through 'linuxconf'
   (although that is not the most 'pretty' interface for novice users).
   (I thought 'control-panel' also did this, I will have to reinstall it).
3. I would also say show them they _HAVE_ choices of WindowManagers
   and the look-and-feel they can customize.
   (I noticed that KDE did not seem to make it simple to switch like
    every other Linux WindowManager, too bad..)
4. Linux Applications (versus just running MicroSoft on Linux/WINE, show
   a real alternative):
   Applications they would be likely to use:
      DeskTop suites:
	- Applixware
	- StarOffice
        - Siag
	- Corel WordPerfect
      Graphics:
	- Gimp
        - xfpovray
        - morph/morphine
      Games...
        - Networked games.. xtank, xconq, Quake, etc..
      Financial, etc..

5. The GUI for package management I have used is glint, and Debian also
   has their own (it would be nice to merge these distribution formats).
6. I would also suggest showing some Ray tracing, or even parallel raytracing
   across a cluster of Linux boxes, like with pvmpov.
7. I will be working on getting the Midi and Multitracking setup..
8. There are also networked games that maybe of interest.

Great ideas in your list..

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Silicon Graphics, Inc.  |   |                      |       \      |