TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:3292] Security Pointers & DSL questions...

Two of the best sources I've found for building a firewall are:

1)	Paul Sery has a 1997 or 1998 book out with a title something like
Linux Networking.  It has novice and 'expert' sections on protecting
your network.  It's fairly lucid and comes with CD.

2)	The creators of ipfwadm offer a white paper on concepts behind the
use of ipfwadm:
http://www.xos.nl/linux/ipfwadm/paper/

I had some trouble the only time I tried to replicate the  example
firewall in the white paper, but it is a good blueprint for tinkering if
nothing else.

I seem to recall that with Linux 2.2 kernel the firewall/masq code has
been massively reorganized and this may lead to deprecation (or
nonfunctioning?) of ipfwadm, but I may be wrong.  In any case, the
concepts are the main thing and most of the above ought to carry over.

gordon

--
Gordon Pedersen
info systems design     Saint Paul, Minnesota