TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:2449] Boot from hard drive using NT bootloader?

using loadlin as I refreshed my memory is quite simple.
Locate the loadlin executable it is in my CDROM in the /dosutils
directory in the RedHat dist.

1. Copy loadlin to dos partition
2. copy the kernel you use to the same partion.
   Boot in linux
   cd /boot
   #if you have the mtools
   mcopy vmlinuz.... A:
   #else if no mtools available
   mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
   cp vmlinuz... /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz
3. Locate where the root partion is
   df : should display the device that is used by "/" /dev/hdb??
4. Boot into DOS in that partion. This can be the MSDOS that is
   supplied with Win95.
5. copy the vmlinuz from the floppy to the same drive.
6. loadlin vmlinuz root="/dev/hdb?"
    or whatever is your root directory.
   You can pass whatever other parameters you need to pass to loadlin
   the same as what you pass through lilo.

And you should be booting into linux from here on.

regards,
sandipan