TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1889] Non-interactive Excel conversion script

Nate Carlson wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Anyone know of a script (perl, bash, c, whatever) that will convert
> a tab-deliniated file (or better yet tab-deliniated stdin) to an Excel
> file?

You want to go from a text file to a binary Excel file?  I believe you can do
this in the Windows version of Perl by using OLE automation, but that doesn't
really help you on Linux.

> I need it for a consulting job I'm working on.. customers hitting a
> web site want the info from the database (based on their search query) in
> an excel format, trying to figure out if it's possible.

So they fill out the search form and click submit, and it creates and
transfers a binary Excel file that they save on their own harddrive & open in
Excel at their leisure?  Sounds cool, but no, I don't know about anything on
the Linux side.  Sorry.

>  If not, I'll just
> set it up to send them a tab-deliniated text file and give 'em
> instructions on how to import it.. thanks!

That's what I would do.  (c:  Much more universal, anyway.

John