TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1393] print server

Tim Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 UserCx@aol.com wrote:
>
> > One option is to set the printer up as a local printer on the print server.
> >
> > Set up the remote printer management stuff by editing the hosts.lpd file
> >
> > Then you can set up remote printers on the other unix machines which
> > would point to the queue of the print server.
>
> I've got this part started, but I can't figure out what to put in the
> RedHat Control Panel Print tool setting for the remote queue. I see that
> you give it a name, point to the IP of the printer server, but it wants to
> know the remote queue. Admittedly, I've never done this before. I can't
> find any hints about what the remote queue should be. Suggestions?

Use the same name for the printer everywhere; this makes troubleshooting
easy.  On the print server, the printer is local (physically attached to
your 486/33).  On the other machines, use the print server's host name
(in host name field, duh...) and the printer's name (that you assigned
on the print server) for the queue name when setting up the printer on
the client machines.  Hope this helps.

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26