TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:1164] kernel won't detect serial port

> > > From: Sanjay Chawla [mailto:chawla@s1.arc.umn.edu]
> >
> > > 	After I installed Linux and before I configured the
> > > PPP connection using "netcfg", I installed a new
> > > 56k Zoom Fax/Modem(UART 16550).  On hindsight this was a mistake
> > > becuase I should have first checked the internet connection using the
> > > old modem!
> > >
> The model number is 2925 and on the box it says that the UART is 16550
> and not 16550A.

Checking out the Zoom web site (http://www.zoomtel.com), it looks like
you're out of luck.  Although it does not specifically say "WinModem", the
2925 requires a minimum processor of Pentium 133, is only supported under
Windows 95, and handles DOS apps only when run under Windows 95.  Since it
requires Windows 95 to function, it's a WinModem.  It just isn't going to
work under Linux, at least not until someone figures out the proper Windows
code emulation.

> 3)
> This modem came free with the WD hard drive that I bought from Best Buy.

Not a good sign.

> 4) If you could tell me what the bug is I can call Zoomtel and discuss
> with them though on the box it says that Windows95 is a requirement.

Unfortunately, the fact that it is indeed a WinModem makes any bugs in the
16550 chip irrelevant.  The bug is described in the Linux Serial-HOWTO if
you're curious.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator