TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1152] cable modems from mediaone

Thank you, Steve, for your breakdown of MediaOne's Express service.  I
was hoping it would be a bit nicer than it turned out to be.

Although, I do have a suggestion on how to get around the WinXX
restrictions.  If you have a dual boot machine -- or two machines --
have them install the service to the network card you anticipate using
for your Linux Internet connection.  Then, boot in to the Linux OS or
swap the NIC to your Linux machine -- thus preserving the NIC unique
address.  As long as they see the NIC's serial number, they won't know
what OS the interface is working on...

Now, for the LAN setup.  Very similar to the ADSL setup, I'd imagine.
You'd need the DHCP client daemon, 'dhcpd', to get the IP addy from
their server.  Next, set up your IP masquerading.  Viola, you'd have
LAN access to the internet through your cable modem w/o MediaOne being
the wiser.  (Assuming you already had your LAN up and running w/a DNS
or DHCP server running).

If Netscape is _required_ to wake up the cable modem, you could always
write a script to start a netscape session and kill it when the
connection was established (or leave it running in the background).

Anyway, this is only speculation on how to do it.  I've got no
experience in it, and from seeing what you don't get w/the cable
modem, I don't see any reason for investing in it yet.

Chewie / Gunnarr
| Chad Walstrom <gunnarr@itasca.net> |
| http://www.itasca.net/~gunnarr     |