TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:993] TCLUG InstallFest

> > I am also working on getting an InstallFest going for mid-September.
> > I have had a lot of requests for this. If anyone knows of a good
> > place to hold this, let me know ASAP. We probably need a pretty
> > large room with plenty of table space.
>
> I'd like to volunteer my high school. It would be an excellent
> location.  I've got some very large rooms with abundant tables,
> outlets, chairs, etc.  These rooms also function well as bio and
> chemistry labs. :-)

You have LAN and/or Internet access in these rooms?  With an
InstallFest, people may have to download extra drivers and programs
(esp. if we come across weird video cards..)

Is an InstallFest still being planned for Sept?  I probably won't be
able to attend (Marching Band - aCk!), but you never know.. (Hmm.. maybe
the 20th (Sunday, maybe not good), 26th or 27th..  more toward the end
of the month, but I'd be far more likely to attend ;-)

Just thinking of things for people to bring along to such an event:

  Ethernet cards
  Mini-hubs
  Etherent cable?
  Backup/Mega Storage
  FAT32-ready FIPS
  Multiple distributions (RedHat, Debian, Slackware, SuSE?)
  Informational pamphlets (ways to get in contact with TCLUG members to
set up things like Net access, etc..)
  Anything else?

> Hopefully, I'll even have some Linux stuff to show off in my computer
> lab. (fingers crossed) Sibley's located in Mendota Heights across the
> Mendota Bridge from Fort Snelling, so we're pretty accessible I think.
> Let me know what you think. BTW, I can get Sat. access to the building
> for special events like this. No problem.

Hmm.. maybe some people should bring along systems set up with KDE
and/or GNOME, Enlightenment, WindowMaker, some cool music or demos to
run..  Eye candy (I've got a VooDoo2, for instance -- could be set up do
do neat stuff..  Anyone for Quake? :-)

And anything else you can think of..

Ahh -- if someone somehow manages to get a news organization to cover it
(who knows, could be interesting.. :-)  someone might want to put
together a 'press packet' with info about Linux, where to get it, some
web sites, etc..  But, that's only if you want news coverage (which I
imagine might scare some of you a bit..

Anyway, I'll shut up now..

Mike Hicks

Eeeeyah!!