TCLUG Archive

Caldera OpenLinux install hassles

	I decided to give that Caldera CD I picked up at the Linux Conf. a try, and
installed it on a machine intended to be our next mailserver.  It's a
Pentium II - 430 or thereabouts.  It's a really nice install process -- I
like the XFree86 configuration process a lot better than RedHat's, and the
ability to run the install off the CD from DOS is pretty cool. (I used a
Win95 install disk!) Otherwise they seem about even, and I'd probably still
be more likely to use RedHat as a personal machine.

	Anyways, so far I've run into two problems.  The first is that this machine
is supposed to boot off of a SCSI drive, yet the initial install failed to
build SCSI support into the kernel!  The easiest solution (for me) turned
out to be re-running the install -- after it's all done except for XConfig,
the system does a warm reboot and I just went to one of the virtual
terminals and made a custom kernel -- even compiled in Advanced Power
Management and a few other useless toys while I was at it.  So, problem
solved.  If anybody else has installed Open Linux on a SCSI-only system and
*didn't* run into this problem, let me know what you did.

	The second problem still has me a little baffled, though.  I'm trying to
get the system to talk to our networked HP 5si.  The one RedHat box I've
configured to do this worked like a charm - ran printtool, told it to use
the printer itself as a print server (the 5si is a fairly intelligent little
papermangler), configured it as an HP LaserWriter 4/5/6, switched on "fix
stair-stepping text" and that was all -- runs PostScript and ASCII like a
charm.  But, when I duplicate that exact same setup in OpenLinux, ASCII
comes out stair-stepped, and PostScript just churns out a half a ream of
blank pages.  It seems, basically, as though the print daemon isn't reading
its own config files, no matter how often I restart the damned thing.
	The only clues I've been able to gather are -- OpenLinux is using
LPRng-3.2.3's lpd.  RedHat seems to be using BSD lpd 4.2 (the program itself
doesn't take the -V argument, but the manpage says BSD 4.2).  Also, the
OpenLinux lpd, when restarted, shows up in the process list as LPD, not lpd,
although it reverts back to lowercase after a while.  I haven't seen
anything in the documentation to explain why it does this.

	Anyone have any ideas?
--
Eric Hillman - UNIX Sysadmin
City & County Credit Union