TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:886] speaking of web stuff

> were raving about PhP.. it's an apache module, so it runs really quick, and
> doesn't cause lots of server load spawning lots of processes.. and the main
> thing that makes it cool is this.. it is coded very similar to perl and C..
> which is a good thing for all those perl CGI coders.. but it also has bunches
> of functions to access all kinds of databases, like mySQL, oracle, postgres,
> multiple kinds of ODBC, dbase, and a couple of others i had never heard of=

Is this different from mod_PERL that I read about in Linux
Journal, or the same thing?

Personally, I'm waiting for Java Server Pages (JSP). I know
that this is a potentially dangerous thing to say on this
list ;-) but Microsoft's ASP is really a killer Web
application development environment, and I'd be pleased to
see something similar to it for UNIX/Linux. Unfortunately,
it runs the risk of being like all the other Java stuff from
Sun: sounds cool, but it's all hype so far. Chili!ASP would
be good for Linux, too...

Neal