TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:886] speaking of web stuff

Quoting Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com):
> hey.. i have been looking around at all the buz about dynamic html, and CGI
> replacements, (coldfusion, web+, mod_perl).. a bunch of geeks i talk to on irc
> were raving about PhP.. it's an apache module, so it runs really quick, and
> doesn't cause lots of server load spawning lots of processes.. and the main
> thing that makes it cool is this.. it is coded very similar to perl and C..
> which is a good thing for all those perl CGI coders.. but it also has bunches
> of functions to access all kinds of databases, like mySQL, oracle, postgres,
> multiple kinds of ODBC, dbase, and a couple of others i had never heard of=

PhP is cool, but I like GSP (http://www.bitmechanic.com/gsp) better.
More of less it lets you embed java code right in your html, the first
time you hit the page is is a little slow since the JVM must compile
your code, but after that it is just as fast as any other normal html
page. Of course with Java you get JDBC, truly OOP, etc.

GSP needs to be run with the Apache module JServ, which is a project
that is trying to bring a Servlet compliant engine to Apache
(http://java.apache.org). I just finished the port to Apache 1.3.1 for
JServ and GSP.

Both are available at the above urls or via anonymous CVS.

As a contributing programmer to JServ my opinion is unbaised. :-P

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700