TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:858] Monitors

Brad DeJong wrote:

> two part message:  part one CTX testimonial  part two question re:
> greyscale monitors
>
> I've had pretty good luck with CTX monitors.  The first one I had
> survived 1 cross ocean move (from Hawaii) and lasted more than 5 years.
<snip>

I don't like the fact that you have to send them back to CTX for repair
- nobody else has the parts.

Otherwise they're ok.

> Has anybody tried using a greyscale monitor with Linux?  I've looked into
> getting an EIZO 6600 (21" 1600 x 1280 @ 75 Hz max) because I do a lot of
> text only work and the greyscale monitors seem to provide noticeably
> sharper text.  They were also a lot cheaper than color 21" monitors last
> fall when I was looking.  I was wondering which X server would be used or
> if the colors just get converted into greyscale.

You would use a color X server and just select a color scheme that
contrasts well.  All the colors do get converted into greyscale.

(I have a cheap 14" greyscale monitor as backup, worked under RedHat 5.0
X).

--
Carl Patten