TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:607] Mixing Alphas and x86s

On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 10:14:13PM -0500, Clay Fandre wrote:
> > Would it be possible to compile apps on the x86 machines and then copy
> > them to the server and run them from there?
> >
> > -Tim
>
> I think compiling the apps on a x86 and then putting them on the server is
> your best bet. Netscape comes as binaries, so you don't even need to compile
> that. Just throw it on your server and export that directory. Running 30
> instances of Netscape remotely causes excess network traffic which will
> slow things down as bit.

this will not work if your server is an alpha.  the alpha has a completely
different architecture and system calls, it would be like trying to take a
microsoft x86 binary and run it on a mac powerpc (with no x86 emulator that
is).  i was not aware of your 30 simultaneous copies of netscape running
when i made the statement.  as i have no experiance with using an alpha, i
cannot really say what 30 netscapes are going to do to it, but my guess is
that it hopefully wont be too bad, because if i'm not mistaken, if more then
one copy of a program is run, don't the rest of the copies use basically the
same data segments, etc. of the first???  i could be wrong here, its been a
while since operating system classes, any developer out there know for
sure.  by the way, what kind of alpha?  the newer 21264's or the older
21164's?  how much ram?  i know this is hypothetical, but i was just
wondering.

len.

--

        -  -  --  --- -----[ whisper@bitstream.net ]----- --- -- -   -