TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:607] Mixing Alphas and x86s

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998 whisper@bitstream.net wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 01:35:25PM -0500, JoshB [JellyD] wrote:
> >
> > Not having an Alpha either, I would assume that you would have to compile
> > any binaries you want on the platform you wish for them to execute, unless
> > you find some way to execute Alpha applications on an Intel box. I think I
> > heard something about this sometime but I haven't put too much faith into
> > it.
> >

> why not just use x and have the display exported to the local machine?  let
> the x protocal handle the communication and local display, and the alpha
> server handle the application load.
>
> len.

How much of a load can you fairly expect the Alpha to handle. Let's say
you've got 30 workstations on the network. What kind of performance could
you expect if you had 30 copies of Netscape running simultaneously on the
server?

Would it be possible to compile apps on the x86 machines and then copy
them to the server and run them from there?

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your