TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:564] Standard Newbie Dialup problem

Perry J. Hoekstra wrote:

> Okay,
> Somebody mentioned XISP as an excellent package for dialup management so
> I installed that.  On a given try, it will either state:
>
> xispdial: chat returned 3!
> xispdial: modem init failed
>
> or dial into my ISP, negotiate a line speed and then state:
>
> xispdial: ppp returned 0, check syslogs yada yada yada...

Hmm.. Have you tried using the Windows init string on the modem?  I've
personally never understood why init strings are necessary, but that's
just me, I guess..  AT&F&C1&D2 always worked for me with no problems...

I'll just be happy when people start getting DSL, and we get to throw
away these old modems (along with com ports....)

Mike Hicks
--
Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste