TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:401] 56k modem

I'll set up on my soap box here.

First, I wish 56K technology would dry up and blow away. It does not
work as advertised and from an ISP side of things you loose money on
it.

Because it is still considered "analog" service by the end user, the
end user expects to pay no more for 56K service then they expect to
pay for 28.8K service.

Of course, on the end user side nothing changes. But on the ISP side
you have to have a 100% digitial circuit. So, instead of a 64 port
Livingston portmaster and 64 relatively inexpensive analog modems and
64 cheap analog lines, you have expensive hardware, with expensive
digital modem cards on expensive digital lines.

Now, I do not mind investing in expensive things *IF* they deliver to
the client. So far, X2, 56K and v.90 suck. All I get out of them is
support calls and complaints of slow connections, drop connections,
incompatibilites, etc.

So, that is why Real Time dropped our ISDN prices to $25/month to help
users feel like they can afford ISDN instead of falling for the
marketing hype of 56K technologies.

So, my recommendation is, go ISDN or wait for xDSL.

Quoting Clayton Fandre (cfandre@cfsmo.honeywell.com):