TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:23243] ftp.mn-linux.org troubles

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > Another instance is a fileserver.  There is nothing stopping a
> > user from trying to copy a DVD file over to the server.
>
> ...except a good admin who knows how to implement quotas and train his/her
> users ;p

That wasn't my point - my point was that it is easy to go over a 2GB file
size in a realistic situation.

> Of course, that didn't help me when I tried to tar-bz all of dieman's mp3s
into
> one file. I hit the 2G limit real quick.

Try to back up an ext2fs partition onto another, stored as a file.  Even
compressed you can easily break the 2GB limit.  I had reason to do this once
because I needed to make a CDR from it.  Needless to say - that particular
approach didn't work.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net