From: Mike Hicks [mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu]
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 9:08 PM
To: tclug-list@mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:23192] MP3s on Debian

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> > Well it took all of 10 min. to get the BladeEnc source downloaded,
> > compiled, and installed. No big deal after all.
>
> Eww eww eww eww eww. I said Lame! http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/

Indeed ;-)

I remember that Monty (I forget his full name -- the guy that did most
of the work on Vorbis) noted in an interview once that people don't
necessarily go for the best thing.  There are plenty of people using Zip
or RAR to compress things, for example, even though there are much
better compressors out there.  I know that gzip is better than Zip (and
maybe RAR), and bzip2 beats them all.

> > If there are licensing problems, how do RedHat, Mandrake, and presumably
> > other distros get around it?
>
> None of them include mp3 encoders either as far as I've seen.

Yeah, they just include everything else -- rippers and MP3 players.  I
suspect they may begin distributing Vorbis encoders, but that will
probably still be a while.  BTW, lame is supposedly going to encode in
vorbis format by default at some point, probably after Vorbis officially
reaches 1.0.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Fatal System Error: Press