TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:22812] Licensing of NT in a linux vs nt whitepaper

Actually, when doing research for another company that I used to work
for, my understanding on the EULA with respect to end user licenses stated
that if you had for example a 5-user license, that meant 5 users actively
logged on to the machine. Since web access is anonymous access, my
understanding of the terms meant that those anonymous users would not be
counted as users in this case. This was a very important point for me to
get clarification on, because in the situation I was in, there were 15
people who needed access to a machine, but we only had 7 machines
available. Therefore there were more than 15 logon accounts required (if
you include process accounts, etc), but no more than 7 people would be
logged on at any one time. Since NT user licenses don't come in
"denominations" of under 5, we purchased a 10 user license, which also
allowed for room to grow should they decide to purchase more workstations.
So NT server requirements basically license out concurrent login sessions.
Since web users technically don't "log in" with a username and password,
my understanding is that you should be safe.

And in reality, trying to guesstimate web usage when you purchase the
server license is pretty iffy at best. One of the selling points
(especially to small companies who choose to go Small Business Server for
example) is that it would allow companies to host websites in house and in
SBS's case a relatively (when compared to NT 4.0 or 2000) cost effective
way.

Oh, btw, Hi! My name's Liz...I've been lurking for about a week, getting a
feel for how things are around here. Linux-wise, it's something I play
around with at home...I'm still looking for a distro that I really like,
so I don't have anything stable - YET.

Take care, all,
Liz Burke-Scovill

--
Imagination is intelligence having fun...
e-mail:  kethry@winternet.com