TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18310] Mandrake and eOne

on 5/30/00 12:39 AM, Andrew S. Zbikowski at andyzib@ringworld.org wrote:

> An eOne is eMachines attempt at an iMac. Except the eOne has...issues.
> Not as well build or shielded as an iMac. This leads to...problems.
>>
>> ATI Rage XL 3D AGP with 8MB SDRAM
>>

> X should support it. I think the easiest way to set up X for someone
> just starting with linux (or anyone for that matter...) is XF86Setup. If
> it isn't there, check your cd's. I know nothing about Mandrake except
> it's an "improved" RedHat. (Any attempts at improving RedHat are
> destined to fail, RedHat is just too screwed up...no, I don't have any
> opinions! I just don't like RedHat's distro)

I haven't been able to access my cdrom drive. I/O error

> For what you're doing, take it bit by bit. So far you have the base
> system up and running. Hey, it's a start. Now get X going. Now the
> challenge...get some kind of connection to the internet.
>
> Looks like the modem is a winwodem. Even worse, it's a HCF. (Costumer:
> But it connects to AOL just fine. In my head: Sure it does. It's crap.
> So is AOL. They're compatible!)
> You might find support for it here:
> http://www.hardwaremaster.com/linux/linmodem/20000129a.html
> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
> I'd recomend getting an external modem for your machine. At least the
> serial ports will work under linux. =)

Fortunately I haven't ever had to use the modem.

> You NIC might be better supported than your modem. A good number of
> Intel adapters have drivers. Your particular one might be supported by
> the tulip driver. Not sure.
>
> Don't deal with anything else till you're on the internet. Getting Linux
> + X + Internet connection at least gets you a useable system.

I currently have a cable modem connection set up for several computers via a
software router so all the machine will have to do is connect to that via
the NIC. Hopefully this should simplify things.