TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18310] Mandrake and eOne

An eOne is eMachines attempt at an iMac. Except the eOne has...issues.
Not as well build or shielded as an iMac. This leads to...problems.

> ATI Rage XL 3D AGP with 8MB SDRAM

X should support it. I think the easiest way to set up X for someone
just starting with linux (or anyone for that matter...) is XF86Setup. If
it isn't there, check your cd's. I know nothing about Mandrake except
it's an "improved" RedHat. (Any attempts at improving RedHat are
destined to fail, RedHat is just too screwed up...no, I don't have any
opinions! I just don't like RedHat's distro)

For what you're doing, take it bit by bit. So far you have the base
system up and running. Hey, it's a start. Now get X going. Now the
challenge...get some kind of connection to the internet.

Looks like the modem is a winwodem. Even worse, it's a HCF. (Costumer:
But it connects to AOL just fine. In my head: Sure it does. It's crap.
So is AOL. They're compatible!)
You might find support for it here:
http://www.hardwaremaster.com/linux/linmodem/20000129a.html
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
I'd recomend getting an external modem for your machine. At least the
serial ports will work under linux. =)

You NIC might be better supported than your modem. A good number of
Intel adapters have drivers. Your particular one might be supported by
the tulip driver. Not sure.

Don't deal with anything else till you're on the internet. Getting Linux
+ X + Internet connection at least gets you a useable system.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
With a name like Zbikowski, you've gotta be good.