TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18254] Dual headed video cards

> It's not a matter of the PC BIOS really.  The video card's BIOS is simply an
> extension ROM for the PC, telling the machine how to handle the card in
> basic fashion.

Though on a PCI/AGP machine, the BIOS still has to initialise the PCI
devices first. The BIOS just sets up the first video card it sees for
legacy mode, calls its video BIOS bootstrap, and doesn't touch the
others, leaving them up to the OS...

Most BIOS's will allow you to configure if they initialise PCI or AGP
first, thus at least giving you control over if PCI or AGP is primary.
But among multiple PCI cards, you get to swap card around until it does
what you want...

> At the price and performance you get from the trusty millenium IIs, I'd go
> for it and spend $10 to get a second display.

$10 for what? The MII's? Gimmie. ;)

I actually have a PCI 16mb 3dfx Banshee I'd be willing to swap for
something that generates less heat as well as something thats more
multihead friendly under MS OS's...

Can't get WinME to do multihead with the banshee as secondary, I suspect
3dfx's drivers are stupid.

I'm told W2K won't do multihead with S3's. So those are out. :P

So I'm looking for Millenium II's or maybe TNT1s... :) (Three screens,
oooh yes. ;)