TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18154] writing audio CDs

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 10:10:57PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > > But does it blank CDRWs? ;)  I have to keep cdrecord around for just
> > > this purpose...
> >
> > No, it doesn't -- however, this function is not needed for actual CD
> > burning,
>
> Yeah it is. I need to blank the CD before I can write to it. ;)

But for something like this, it doesn't really matter whether it's a
seperate program or not -- no one complains that mkisofs is seperate... :)
Eventually cdrdao will probably add the blanking capability, but again it
doesn't really matter.

It's a totally seperate step anyway...  (It's not like you're required to
use one tool to write the disc lead-in, another tool to write the data, and
the first tool to write the lead-out again!)

> > so a seperate utility makes sense for it.
>
> Duplicating all the code needed to talk to all the writers out there
> makes no sense... ;)

Both cdrecord and cdrdao use the schily SCSI lib, so at least in theory, it
may be possible to compile that lib as a shared object (.so), and have just
one copy of it.  With the price of storage and RAM these days though, an
extra meg or two means almost nothing.

--
David Carter ** dcarter@visi.com
Network Engineer -- VISI.com