TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18197] Helix relationship to GNOME

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 07:33:53AM -0500, Clay Fandre wrote:

>I have not seen any of these problem, and I'm on a Celeron-400. I'm
>wondering if your problem is specific to some of your hardware and the
>pre2.4 kernels. I'd try it with a stable kernel for a while and see if
>you still have the same performance problems with helixgnome.

I may have overstated. The performance on my desktop is not _that_ bad, it's
my laptop whichi s a coppermine 500 with a measly 64MB of ram. It may have to
do with the kernel as well as I said it seems better with the 2.4 test.

I simply can't revert to a stable kernel as I am too lazy to apply the
backport stuff for USB and GART support (I kinda like playing UT on my linux
laptop when I don't have much going on :-p ) And I have been running
2.399-preX kernels as long as they have been out. Once I find a stable kernel
with allthe features I like, I'll run it. Granted I think I take a performace
hit, but I like the convenience of the newer kernel. Setting up usb is as
simple as compiling the stuff as modules and running mknod. And you are
golden.

Hey I'm a typical norweigan, "work smarter not harder"

--
Ben Lutgens  xAdministrator CS Solutions Inc |WinNT BSOD Security model:
1821 University Ave, St. Paul, Mn	     |"Can't crack it if it's crashed.