TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18170] why disconnects?

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Ben Luey wrote:

> > #1) [wall line jack]-----[his computer]-----[your computer]
> >
> > #2) [wall line jack]-----[your computer]-----[his computer]
> >
> > #3) [wall line jack]-----[Y-splitter]-----[your computer]
> >                               +-----------[his computer]
> It is setup like #3, which is why I don't understand the differences. I'm
> also curious why my parent's modem disconnects if you pick up the phone,
> (or stare at it evilly)but here I've left the phone off the hook while my
> housemate was online (and sleep) for an hour and it stays up!!
>
> The modem idea sounds right. I'm going to look at my init scripts and my
> modem manual . (It is a new 56k Jaton isa, ).

When the connection for modems is interrupted with noise, some modems just
give up easier than others.  Classic example: My friend's 33.6 abandons the
connection on the slightest anomaly, but my 33.6k will stay on and
renegotiate the connection even if you scream in the reciever for 10
seconds.

There is a set of S-registers that controls how long the modem will attempt
to renegotiate a broken carrier, and others taht determine if it'll even
try.  If you cant figure out which ones they are (dont ask, I dont know),
just pick up the reciever and hold the 6 button (on dtmf phones) for about
60 seconds.  The upper tone on the 6 key is close enough to the carrier
guard tone that it'll throw the connection off and one of the moems is bound
to give up within 60 seconds :)

-David