TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18170] why disconnects?

> #1) [wall line jack]-----[his computer]-----[your computer]
>
> #2) [wall line jack]-----[your computer]-----[his computer]
>
> #3) [wall line jack]-----[Y-splitter]-----[your computer]
>                               +-----------[his computer]
It is setup like #3, which is why I don't understand the differences. I'm
also curious why my parent's modem disconnects if you pick up the phone,
(or stare at it evilly)but here I've left the phone off the hook while my
housemate was online (and sleep) for an hour and it stays up!!

The modem idea sounds right. I'm going to look at my init scripts and my
modem manual . (It is a new 56k Jaton isa, ).

Thanks,

Ben