TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18004] 3C905C-TX-M with Linux

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 03:45:47PM -0500, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:
>-M cards are known bad under Linux (seems unlikely)?
>
>hardware are all fine.

I have all sorts of 3c90x creepy cards and they all work fine. The only time I
have problems is if my BIOS is set for a plu and pray OS. If you set this to
"no" it tells the BIOS that "Hey we need to initialize the hardware because
there is no plug-n-play capability in the OS" while you are prolly thinking
"But linux has plug-and-play support" you are right, but it's not as good as
it needs to be in order to accomodate letting the BIOS slack off on boot
time. Generally if I get these errors it mean that something else is using the
IRQ/IO that the card thinks it needs, so if you force an IRQ in the BIOS (Mine
is set to PCI #1 = IRQ 9 on my desktop ) that _should_ take care of it. Provided the card doesn't have some new chipset that Mr. Beckers drivers won't work with. As you can see from this excerpt from dmesg on my laptop

3c59x.c:v0.99L+LK1.1.2+AKPM  24 Apr 2000  Donald Becker and others
http://cesdi
s.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0xdc00,  ***INVALID CHECKSUM 0005***
00:b0:d0:
12:3a:b0, IRQ 10
8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.
MII transceiver found at address 24, status 782d.
3c59x: Wake-on-LAN functions disabled
Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

the driver will spit out the IRQ used. If your dmesg has something about IRQ 0
this is probably your problem. One way to debug this is to tail -f some logs
while inserting your modules (with either modprobe or modconf) and then paste
in the output that seems interesting.

--
Ben Lutgens  xAdministrator CS Solutions Inc |WinNT BSOD Security model:
1821 University Ave, St. Paul, Mn	     |"Can't crack it if it's crashed.