TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17983] Sharing a WinPrinter with SAMBA

Andy Zbikowski wrote:
> Troy Johnson wrote:
> > Does printing from the samba machine work? If it doesn't work from the
> > server to the printer, it surely won't work from the client to server to
> > printer.
> >
> Worng. The printer can't work from the SAMBA machine beacuse it's a
> windows only printer. It can be shared by the SAMBA server though. You
> can use the windows drivers on a windows based client to send
> information to the printer however.
> And I got it working. The printer share path should be set to /tmp
> On the windows side, make sure you send the data as RAW.
> I made those tweaks, and it works.

That is good to know, but I am curious: can't the winprinter even be
made to spit out garbage? That might be nice, just to make sure it isn't
a non-Samba problem (bad cable/connector, misconfigured lpr, ...). Thank
you for letting me know I was worng,

:-)

Troy

--

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
	-- R. Buckminster Fuller