TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17953] helix-update and 125meg core

Ben Luey wrote:

> I ran helix-update to get the latested of helix code on my mandrake 7.0
> install. The install got hung on the update to of helix-code, so I closed
> it and installed the rpm of helix-update that it downloaded. Upgraded
> fine. I then ran the updater again to get the rest and it appeared to
> work. I left it and when I returned I had a blank screen awith the default
> X curosr. No movement. Contrl-Alt-Backspace did nothing, so I did a
> control-alt-del and rebooted. The logs showed the gdm went insane.  So I
> ran helix-update again and my hard drive thrashed for minutes and minutes
> (quite scary), and finally I got contorl of my computers back enough to
> run top and see helix-update going insane but right before I could kill it
> it core dumped a 125meg file. UUmmmmm??

What version of helix-update were you running? There was a nasty memory
leak in helix-update < .40. Update that and then try it.

rpm -Uvh
ftp://ftp.real-time.com/pub/helixcode/distributions/Mandrake-7/helix-update-0.4-0mdk_helix_1.i586.rpm

--
Clay Fandre
Twin Cities Linux Users Group