TCLUG Archive

helix-update and 125meg core

I ran helix-update to get the latested of helix code on my mandrake 7.0
install. The install got hung on the update to of helix-code, so I closed
it and installed the rpm of helix-update that it downloaded. Upgraded
fine. I then ran the updater again to get the rest and it appeared to
work. I left it and when I returned I had a blank screen awith the default
X curosr. No movement. Contrl-Alt-Backspace did nothing, so I did a
control-alt-del and rebooted. The logs showed the gdm went insane.  So I
ran helix-update again and my hard drive thrashed for minutes and minutes
(quite scary), and finally I got contorl of my computers back enough to
run top and see helix-update going insane but right before I could kill it
it core dumped a 125meg file. UUmmmmm??

Ben