TCLUG Archive

Random rant (was: Re: [TCLUG:17923] Corel and other latecomers to the Linux ball)

"Trainor, Kevin T." wrote:

>         This is not to say that Corel doesn't have problems. I severely
> doubt that Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer lose much (if any) sleep over
> the threat posed to their market share by Corel [...]

Okay, this is kind of unrelated, but I bet Bill & Co. might get a little
restless after this article from The Register today:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/000519-000002.html  (Yeah, I know The
Register is pretty much a tabloid, but if the email they're talking
about actually exists, it's a pretty nasty situation MS could be in).

> >Apple is not that desperate anymore, and they
> >haven't embraced OSS for much (maybe when I see the source to Quicktime,
> eh?).
>         Don't hold your breath. Apple has always struck me as being at
> the opposite end of the spectrum from the OSS movement.

I think that's what he said..  Anyway, yeah, Apple hasn't been the
nicest in terms of Open Source.  Their QuickTime server makes me irate,
since I could personally care less about serving the stuff -- I just
want to be able to watch all of the Sorenson-encoded movie trailers and
whatnot that are floating around, and with Apple bundling their
movie-creation software on many systems, that is sure to become an even
bigger problem (well, for me and the other Linux/Unix bigots out there
;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   There will be no last bus