TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17759] Security

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:33:25PM -0500, Jonathan Kline wrote:
> Has anyone ever used a magnetic card reader underLinux for the purpose of
> user authentication?  So for root you'd have to have both the correct pass
> and a valid rood magnetic strip on your card....
> Is tehre any software for Linux for a magnetic card reader?

I don't know what's out there right now, but assuming that you're using PAM,
you could write a module to do any sort of authentication you want.  If
you're using a magstripe, something that would work would be a
cryptographically signed username on the stripe, and it would prompt for the
password, but anything is possible.  That's the whole premise of PAM...

--
David Carter ** dcarter@visi.com
Network Engineer -- VISI.com