TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

> > If you release it under GPL - you certainly won't be hired to use your
code
> > commercially (typically not opensource) - you will have to rewrite it -
>
> Nope.  The guys who came up with samba, ext2, LVM, etc.. to name a few
> don't write GPL software for commercial envrions at this point, do they?
> </scarasm>

Isn't that what I was saying?  You aren't likely to be hired to write a
commercial version of your software if you released your software opensource
GPL.  You would have to rewrite your code instead of use your existing code
base (provided they want to use a restricted commercial license - safely
assumed in most cases).  Under BSD, you can use the code you started with
and then extend it for commercial purposes and use whatever license you like
for it.  The original code remains BSD for the rest of the world to use.

I wasn't talking about code for commercial environments.  I was talking
about writing commercial code - where the product is for sale commercially,
usually in binary only form.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net