TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:17767] Open Source Article

	I think that I can't show this to my dad.  The dork used cuss words
in the article.  Idiot!

	Also, I think that he is correct only in his quote of Eric Raymond.
Making a program free/open-source should be something that is mutually
beneficial for producers and consumers, or it is not.

	I don't think that IBM releasing the source to OS/2 will hurt them.
IBM doesn't even run it internally on their own desktops anymore.  What's
the revenue spent on OS/2 vs the money poured into it?  Also, IBM makes 10
times the money on service than they do on software.  Software is a means to
provide service, and get sevice revenue.  The author neglects to see the
long-term goal of service based revenue.

	It's much like a Gilette scenario:  Gilette gave away the razor to
sell the blades.  RedHat (et al.) gives away the software to sell you the
service.

	If the author read more about the LinuxCare layoffs he would know
that it is attributed to bad management-- nothing more.

	Mark