TCLUG Archive

More Samba mounting woes....

Per Kevin Bullock's very helpful email suggestion, I upgraded by samba
installation to 2.0.7 (I have a 2..2 kernel) in the hopes of better
being able to samba mount.

Sadly, this seems to have made my problems even worse!  Under my earlier
version of Samba (2.0.5), I was not able to make the mount -t smbfs
command work, but I was able to use smbmount, using the old -U and -W
arguments (for username and workgroup, respectively).  This is the
syntax that is used by smbclient.  Now I'm supposed to use the -o
options argument form.

The worst problem is that now I can't debug my option arguments using
smbclient.  In the old days, I could dink with the form of the -U and
-L arguments to my heart's content, until I got them right, and then
I was able to just move them to the smbmount command.

Now, however, mount -t fails, when I do the following:

mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxxx,password=passsssss,workgroup=wwwww
//host/directory /mnt/localdir

I just get the unhelpful error message that
execvp of smbmnt failed. Error was No such file or directory.smbmnt
failed: 1
mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
and I don't have the foggiest idea what's going wrong.  My smbclient
verifies that the shared directory is there, and my ls verifies that the
local dir is there, but now I don't seem to have any tools to debug the
option string.  When I use

smbclient -L host -U xxxxxxx -W wwwww

everything is fine (I see the //host/directory), but since that has a
different option format, it's not very helpful (why, oh why, was mount
removed as a smbclient option?? :-<) --- I can no longer copy the
-U and -W option strings to the smbmount command ...

Any suggestions?