TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:15107] nfs exports

>         I'm trying to devise a recovery-from-backup scheme for my
> network.
>         the theory is; if a machine dies; all I should have to do
> is insert
> a tomsrtbt disk into the new machine; boot from that; nfs-mount the tape
> drive on a server; and restore from the last backup tape over nfs.
>         this is what I thought I had heard of people doing.

Okay, I'm not sure what I'm about to say is quite accurate, but as far as I
recall:

You *can't* nfs-mount tapes, because, among other things, they're not block
devices.

The protocol you're supposed to use is called "rtape" or something like
that.  It may be enabled by default.  You'll notice that both tar and dump
(well, the versions I have, anyways) allow you to specify a hostname
*before* the file/device specifier.

I've set this up in the distant past, but right now we have tape drives in
every single machine we own, so it hasn't been an issue for some time.
Also, I may be mixing up Linux & HP-UX somewhere in here.  But I'm pretty
sure that NFS won't work for what you describe.