CF: Newbie'ish questions

Hi all.
Ok I just started playing CF again after a long time off and I have a few
questions hopefully someone can answer.

1. Can you buy stat potions any more? (potion of strength, con, etc..)
because I can't seem to find them in any shops.  I find myself dying quite a
bit, and losing stats constantly.  I can afford to buy these potions to get
myself back to where I was but I can't find them anywhere.  I seem to come
across potions in the game often enough, but it seems about 95% of the time
it is cursed...so I find my stats slipping and slipping and will have to
create another character soon.  On this subject I'm not sure if restoration
is a way to bring a stat back, I have tried the restoaration from the
healing house but it doesn't seem to help.

2. Poinsonous food.  I was exploring the other day and had around 60hp left
when I ate some food off the ground and died instantly.  Is this really
necessary for poisonous food to do so much damage?  Shouldn't it simply
poison you or something?  This seems kinda harsh to me.

3. Praying.  Can you still get benefits from praying?  Like your weapon
becoming a slay of your enemy god?  I tried praying for a long time
yesterday and got nothing out of it.

I think that's it for now, thanks for any help.

Sean