RE: CF: skill categories and sub-skills

-----Original Message-----
From: Tenwit
To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Sent: 5/19/00 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: CF: skill categories and sub-skills

<snip>

Realism takes too much precedence in some games.  The order we should be
thinking about these things is 1) player fun, 2) play balance, 3)
realism.
Don't do something only because "it makes sense"; it has to benefit the
game too.

-----Begin Reply-----
Realism isn't necessarily being injected for realism's sake.  When a game
purports to simulate a world that bears a lot of similarities to reality,
game features which are not realistic are counterintuitive to the players.
There isn't much that interferes with player enjoyment as much as a game
that refuses to allow an action that "should" be possible.  I recall loud
complaints about Ultima Ascension's jumping puzzles where you have to hit
just the right pixel on the platforms, both leaving and landing, or you
don't make it.  It seems to me this whole debate about skills is an effort
to bring the way the game simulates skills more in line with what the player
expects.  Whether or not we're succeeding I wouldn't venture to guess, but
that's the idea.

DM