Re: CF: skill categories and sub-skills (was: Quest & Characters and Alchemy)

David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:

> I think this speaks to a problem broader than just potions.  I think
> we need sub-skills or skill specialization.
>
> "Melee Weapon" includes dagger, quarterstaff, morningstar, longsword,
> Bonecrusher, nunchaku, etc...
>
> "Missile Weapons" includes both bows and crossbows, which have about
> as much in common as any of the above.
>
> "Disarm Traps" applies equally to pits and runes.
>
> "Literacy" - Is there more than one written langauge in this game?
>
> I propose a skill "tree" with more than the two levels we currently
> have - attributes and skills.  Something along these lines:

 Further refinement of skills and tying experience to the specific skill and not
the skill category probably makes more sense.  I won't got into the list of
skill categories & skills provided, but my personal thought is that gets too
refined.

 I would note that lots of changes would be needed - objects would have to note
what skill uses them - for example, right now you have nothing more in the
object type other than weapons, so there is no easy way to know if that is a
sword, knife, dagger, etc other than name, and that breaks down for artifacts.

 The idea of going to guilds to learn skills makes a lot of sense instead of the
skill scrolls.  Guilds also provide a known place to learn a skill - many
players get to a point pretty early on knowing they want to learn some skills
and have the money for the scrolls, but have to end up spending time hunting the
shops for them.  That doesn't make a lot of sense.  I don't like the idea that
all skills are inherently known at exp 0 - I think having to learn skills would
add another possible dimention to quests in the game.

 I think this could also help refine playbalance.  A character that has used
swords his entire life (and thus has lots of exp in that skill) may think twice
about whether that artifact axe really is a good weapon - sure, it may be better
than any other weapon he has, but his lack of skill diminishes the usefulness.