Re: CF: Quest & Characters and Alchemy

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Doug wilder wrote:

[snip]
> 1: the way its set up right now if im surounded by caldrons i only have to
> throw the spell once and it works in all of them.

Cool, I didn't notice this before :-)

[snip]
> 3: Cursed items being made - personally i think if we were to change this we
> should make it so that they are rarely made. Its a giant flaw in the game
> that i can just dump an item in and throw the spell and somehing appears
> (its cursed) and i can sell it as long as i dont identify it and make GOOD
> money doing it. I dont suggest that the items not come out cursed, I think
> the 95% of the time only Slag comes out if you fail.
[snip]

In fact, I've pointed out before that you can basically earn free cash just by
learning the alchemy spell, and lots of time (or lots of spell points and fast
recharge) -- just drop a penny into the cauldron (!), cast alchemy until you
see a cursed block of lead. If you don't identify / detect curse, shopkeepers
will gladly pay prodigious amounts of money for it. Wash, rinse, repeat. :-)

(Oddly enough, a similar trick involving praying at an altar to remove the
curse doesn't work because apparently the value of the cursed item is set to 0
in the alchemy code. Shopkeepers however, will gladly dish out generous cash
for unidentified items that look valuable...)

Of course, I'm still on 0.95.3 so this probably has changed since. :-)

----
()()
"Do not modify spaghetti code unless you can eat the consequences..."
`--'