Re: CF: Re: Crossfire bug

Michael Toennies wrote:

> Hi Mark
> The idea to check the area and put out a smaller monster when it don't fit
> is very good.

 My code only works when there is not enough space around the caster.  For
example, if you are in a width 1 corrider, you will get a small monster.  It
won't help you if you are in a big room, get a big pet, and then wander into a
small corrider.

> Sorigs avatar is unbeatable. It kills 99% of all strong monsters.
> Blue dragons get kicked in some seconds - buit they should be immun to
> the avatars lightning attack???? A red dragon also get killed easy with 2
> avatars
> in a row.

 Looking at the avatar, it doesn't appear it should be as nasty as describe (dam
40).  But then looking at the spell, the avatar will get beefed up even more
based on the casters level, so the effective avatar could be really nasty.

 Also, according to the code, all avatars will get physical added to their
attacktype, which is why the avatar can beat up stuff immune to electricity
(they will take the physical damage).  I can see the rationale behind it, but
all that adds up to an avatar which may not look much like the one defined in
the archetypes file.

> With Gnarks trolls you have no chance to kill most undead monsters... And
> most
> dungeons are full of skulls. No chance, i try some minutes but nothing
> happens,
> they seems immun.

 Are you talking the avatar of the pet monsters?  The avatar should be attacking
with weaponmagic + physical, and most all undead should take damage from those.

> I prefer to give a summoned avatar a special attack like godpower. Then most
> of the
> suckers do some good damage to the crowds and thats what are they needed
> for:
> To clear areas and kill bigger monsters from safe.

 My opinion is that avatars (or most any creature/spell/item) should not be end
all attacks.  If you have items/spells which is the only spell to use, then you
might as well remove all the rest - to me, that does not make a very interesting
or complex game.  I personally don't have a problem is some avatars/gods are not
effective against some set of creatures.

> And the good aspect is thats more players plays different gods. I think that
> should be
> major task. Also the other god powers (immunities, etc.) needs some small
> adjustments to
> the characters, so we have a better alternative for different gods  like
> Gnark.

 Balance is something certainly needed, and has been discussed many times.
Balance is always a bit difficult, because the game is constantly changing, but
also, the maps will change.

 Some gods may simply not be very effective right now because there are not a
lot of places to go and use your holyword spell on creatures, or the protection
they grant may not be ideal, etc.  But if the maps change such that a new set of
maps with lots of those monsters are added, that god may suddenly be more
appealing.

 There is also the decision about whether any class/race/god should be able to
complete the game, or should some things be limited (for example, only certain
gods get these spells, or only certain classes could learn this skill, etc).
And there is no right or wrong answer to that.